Director of Government and Community Relations
Job Summary: The Director of Government and Community Relations is responsible for working with Federal, State and local governments and elected officials on public policy issues, zoning and redevelopment and building strong relationships and Aimco’s reputation in key markets throughout the United States. Reporting directly to the Senior Vice President of Government Relations and Communications, this position provides an important role in building state and local relationships, and government advocacy.
- Directs the organization's policies and objectives involving local, state, and federal government affairs.
- Leads analysis of proposed legislative actions and determines the potential impact on the company.
- Monitors legislative and regulatory activities and develops company positions.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with state and local elected officials.
- Develops strategies and works proactively with elected officials to advance the company’s interests, advocating on Aimco’s behalf with state and local governments.
- Develops and maintains numerous relationships with national trade associations, local apartment associations and state and local advocacy groups. Participates on industry task forces on relevant issues.
- Advises implements and participates in various coalitions; acts as a liaison to various groups and projects.
- Researches, analyzes and tracks Federal, state and local legislation that may impact the company. Recommends and implements advocacy strategies.
- Tackles and resolves problems related to government agencies and Aimco communities.
- Builds relationships with community and neighborhood groups to position Aimco as a strategic partner and outstanding corporate citizen.
- Organizes local events to showcase Aimco properties and redevelopments.
- Creates and implements Aimco Cares philanthropic activities with elected officials and Aimco team mates throughout the U.S.
- Develops partnerships with local civic and non-profit organizations for mutual benefit.
- Works collaboratively with Aimco operations, redevelopment, communications and marketing teams.
- Strategically manages political and nonprofit contributions.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working with an elected official, government agency, legislative groups or in other public policy role.
- Lobbying and advocacy experience.
- Excellent research, writing and communication skills.
- B.A. in public policy, government or related field a plus.
- Strong organizational skills
- Diplomacy and problem-solving
- Team Player
- Goal and results oriented
- Comfort travelling 25-30% of the time