Director of Redevelopment
The Director of Redevelopment will oversee many aspects of the redevelopment and repositioning of large multi-family properties in the local key target markets with a special focus on a specific target market. In collaboration with the Senior Development Leadership, this individual will have responsibility for the planning, pro-forma modeling, and project management of redevelopment projects for a portfolio of multi-family properties that includes garden-style, mid-rise and high-rise properties. Projects will include a range of project types including smaller scale kitchen and bath renovations, large-scale renovations of existing assets, and may include ground up development on existing sites.
- Partner with Senior Development Leadership on varied development and redevelopment projects through the region.
- Support additional development and redevelopment projects nationally as necessary.
- Work closely with group and business leaders across the organization to drive projects from inception to completion.
- Actively manage aspects of the development and redevelopment process, including: feasibility, financial analysis, market research, demographic studies, entitlements and other necessary governmental approvals, and the oversight of site, engineering, landscape, and architecture plans, with collaborative support from the Senior Development Leadership.
- Review and approve plans during schematic, design development, and construction drawing phases.
- Participate in planning charrettes.
- Partner with the Construction Services team to ensure successful pre-construction planning and construction completion of complex projects.
- Partner with the Aimco Operations team to ensure successful transition from Construction Services and lease up of project to stabilization.
- Partner with Aimco’s Finance team to create and maintain detailed financial models and reports.
- Successful track record developing and/or redeveloping multifamily properties.
- Collaborative, professional approach to building relationships across the organization.
- Ability to work well independently to manage multiple projects while keeping senior leadership (regional and national) appropriately apprised of status and critical project issues.
- Demonstrated ability to create and deliver high-impact, effective presentations, including strong writing skills.
- Proactive communication with internal and external business partners at all levels.
- Capable of managing through influence when needed.
- Proven ability to negotiate successfully with government agencies and external business partners.
- Strong ability to multitask and appropriately prioritize projects and tasks.
- Possesses a strong network of local area design and consulting professional relationships.
The ideal candidate will possess at least five years of experience leading ground-up development projects and/or large-scale repositioning, renovation, and redevelopment projects. Our ideal candidate will have multifamily residential, condo, or hospitality development experience, preferably within the specific target area, as well as a strong working knowledge of design, construction, and operations. To be considered, candidates should have a proven background managing projects from conception through completion. A strong project management background, design orientation and experience with the entitlement/zoning process are critical to success in this position.
Additionally, the chosen candidate must be a confident communicator with the level of maturity and presence necessary to influence business unit leaders across the organization.
The ideal candidate should also possess a Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Architecture, or a closely related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.