The Director of SEC Reporting & Technical Accounting will help oversee the SEC reporting and technical accounting functions for the company. This position’s primary responsibilities include the preparation, review and delivery of timely and accurate external reporting documents, as well as ensuring the company’s compliance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States, or GAAP. This individual will collaborate with a large team of accounting, finance and operational professionals, will help ensure the consistent delivery of high-quality reporting and analysis, and will help provide exceptional service to the department’s internal and external stakeholders.
- Preparation and review of all financial SEC filing documents (10-K, 10-Q, 11-K, 8-K, etc.), as well as disclosures for SEC registration statements and other critical filings in accordance to SEC rules and regulations.
- Utilization of Workiva (aka WebFilings) cloud-based reporting solution to manage filings with SEC.
- Preparation and review of supplemental information included in quarterly earnings releases.
- Coordination of internal management reviews of information to ensure that all feedback is assimilated into submitted documents and disclosures.
- Adherence to internal and external review and filing deadlines, including tracking and communication of status.
- Ownership of eXtensible Business Reporting Language, or XBRL, content for the company, including analysis of taxonomies, selection of tags, document review and validation, etc.
- Drafting initial responses to SEC comment letters and working with disclosure team to finalize responses.
- Assisting with the monitoring and occasional design or redesign of accounting and reporting processes to ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley.
- Analysis and application of GAAP to complex real estate business transactions.
- Preparation of technical accounting memos related to new contracts, acquisitions, accounting guidance, etc.
- Implementation of new or revised accounting pronouncements, such as Revenue Recognition, Consolidations, Lease Accounting, etc.
- Support of annual audit and quarterly reviews conducted by an external accounting firm to ensure timely and efficient fulfillment of all requests.
- Assistance with the design and monitoring of business processes related to technical accounting to ensure compliance with Sarbanes Oxley.
- Identification and leadership of projects that support the organization’s business needs and continuous improvement to the organization’s accounting and reporting processes.
- May be called upon to support general accounting functions such as general data gathering, tracking, and record keeping; financial forecasting, budgeting, and planning; preparing of financial schedules, statements, and reports. This may include GL maintenance, audit/budget/forecast preparation, cash flow analysis and reconciliation, etc.
- Additional responsibilities may include reviewing accounting statements for accuracy, including balance sheet statements, profit and loss statements, consolidated statements, audited financial statements and related footnotes, and other accounting statements and reports.
- Other duties may be required in this role according to business need.
- Ability to understand and analyze complex transactions, apply complex accounting requirements to those transactions, and effectively communicate the results to the stakeholders.
- Strong experience coordinating and completing detailed analytical reviews of complex information.
- Proven background of strategically implementing best practices around reporting and technical accounting processes.
- Keen ability to build and maintain positive and collaborative working relationships with internal and external business partners, including oversight of a small team of dedicated external reporting professionals.
- Propensity towards detail-orientation in all aspects of work performance and a meticulous business writer.
- Experience with XBRL and/or Workiva, cloud-computing platform.
The ideal candidate will possess at least seven years of experience in a role that includes SEC reporting and technical accounting responsibilities, either in public accounting or industry. To be considered, candidates must have a proven background managing complex projects from concept through completion. A strong financial acumen, analytical mindset and experience writing business documents that are both technical and detailed is required. Additionally, the chosen candidate must be a confident communicator with the level of maturity and presence necessary to influence senior executives and business unit leaders across the organization. He or she must also possess a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a closely related field. Candidates holding a CPA certification are preferred, as are those with prior experience using Workiva (WebFilings) and working with XBRL.
Aimco is a real estate investment that is focused on the ownership and management of quality apartment communities located in the largest markets in the United States. Aimco is one of the country's largest owners and operators of, with approximately 182 communities in 22 states and the District of Columbia. Aimco common shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol AIV, and are included in the S&P 500.